Thanksgiving and Autumn weather wouldn’t be complete without a dash of nutmeg and cardamom. A large part of what makes this season so special are all the spices and foods we associate with the cooler temperatures.
Chances are you won’t look at your spice rack the same after discovering these amazing health benefits found in some of the season’s favorites. Thanksgiving brings it all together on one table with herbs and spices to boost your immunity, strengthen your metabolism and so much more!
Health Benefits of Autumn Herbs and Spices
Make these herbs and spices a part of your regular fall dishes and enjoy the bonus of improved overall health and vitality.
- Thyme — Avoid colds and the flu by adding more thyme to your diet. It’s been shown to reduce symptoms of bronchitis and is packed with vitamin C, potassium and manganese. These nutrients support healthy cells, reduce blood clot formation and help to strengthen your bones.
Dish ideas: Thyme is a tasty flavor to add to your green beans, broccoli and squash and even pairs well with walnuts and fruit, like cherries and cranberries. Consider using dried or fresh thyme on red and white meats or even in your hearty stews and pastas.
- Cloves — Not only are cloves used as food preservatives, but they are rich in immune-boosting properties that include antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal and antiviral.
A small amount of cloves can provide a rich and robust flavor to any dish or hot beverage.
Dish ideas: Besides chai tea, cloves are a delightful addition to chicken dishes, savory soups and mixed potatoes.
- Nutmeg — You know Thanksgiving is right around the corner when you have a difficult time finding nutmeg at your local grocery store. There’s something special about this spice that makes it a go-to for both flavor and for medicinal purposes. Studies show that nutmeg can relieve sore throats, reduce blood cholesterol levels, alleviate stomach and kidney disorders and more. This powerful anti-inflammatory spice is what gives pumpkin pie its classic warmth in flavor.
Dish ideas: Besides pumpkin pie, consider combining nutmeg with your traditional sweet potato dishes, roasted root vegetables and even pureed soups.
- Rosemary — Rosemary has been shown to fight off both bacterial and viral infections. It carries powerful immune-boosting properties to prevent illness from the onset, reducing a full-blown attack to your overall health.
Dish ideas: Rosemary is delicious in both sweet and savory dishes, especially those found on your Thanksgiving dinner table. Roasted turkey with rosemary and citrus is a timeless pairing. You can even use it with garlic or honey, depending on your sweet or savory flavor goals.
- Cinnamon —An iconic seasonal spice, cinnamon carries an amazing array of health benefits. Loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, cinnamon should be a regular supplement to your everyday diet. Cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels, protects against heart disease, increases sensitivity to insulin and even carries antiviral and anti-fungal components.
Dish ideas: Add cinnamon to your ice cream, whipped cream or any sweet dish to lower the effects of sugar spikes to your system. Cinnamon can also be enjoyed with bread dishes or with roasted walnuts and pecans.
We hope these tempting spices and herbs inspire your culinary creativity this holiday season. Remember your health and vitality can be in your hands when you carefully select the ingredients to incorporate in the meals you eat.
Peddler’s Son is Arizona’s Top-Quality Food Supplier
Peddler’s Son is the go-to farm-fresh food supplier for Arizona restaurants, hospitals, schools and more. Family-owned and operated since 1988, Peddler’s Son brings you honest pricing, unparalleled customer service and farm-fresh produce every day.
We believe in quality and that’s what you’ll get when you rely on us to deliver high-value foods for your favorite dishes. We put our food quality and reliable delivery service first, along with the customers we serve all across the state.
Do you need reliable, quality fresh foods for your restaurant, school or business? We can help! Contact us today to see how we can get you the food you need delivered fresh and on time!